When you are part of a couple, intimacy is a part of this relationship. And along with intimacy comes sexual intercourse which can lead to children. For many couples, they already have children and do not want to have more, as raising children can be expensive. Other couples, may not have children but have high demanding careers and do not feel that children fit in with their ultimate life plan. Whatever the reason behind it, many couples look to vasectomies as a way to prevent having any more children in their relationship. For those couples are considering these, here is everything that you may need to know about getting a vasectomy.
1. Be sure that this is something that you both agree on. While vasectomies can be reversed, it is not always 100% accurate when it is reversed, plus it can be a painful reversal.
2. This is not going to impact your sex life. Men who received a vasectomy are not going to suddenly lose interest in sex. In fact, some men say that it brings about a new spontaneity in their relationship when they do have a vasectomy.
3. It is normal for a man to feel some grief after the surgery. Why is this? They are closing the door on having more children, which they may have wanted to do, but it is still a stage in life that they are moving away from.
4. The procedure is not major surgery…which is why many men opt to do this rather than let the woman in their lives undergo tube tying, which is a major surgery.
5. A vasectomy is not super effective at first. Couples will want to use a backup birth control for at least two to three months after the surgery to ensure that all the active sperm are no longer in the urethra. And there is also the 1 in 2,000 change that the vasectomy reverses itself…but this is rare!
6. There may be bruising and swelling in the area for a few days or weeks, which is something that a man should be prepared for.
7. It is normal for a man to be anxious about this surgery, even if it is minor. After all, this is being performed in a delicate area. So, be sure that you are comfortable with the doctor and that you have all your questions answered to put your mind at ease.
A vasectomy can be a great way for a couple to take control of their family, but is one that both need to talk about and agree too.